Ipas Development Foundation (IDF) works in close collaboration with the Government at the national and state levels to translate our on ground experience into technical assistance to strengthen comprehensive abortion care (CAC) and comprehensive contraceptive care (CCC) interventions in the country.
At the national level, IDF works with the Maternal Health division of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) to assist in the development and revision of technical material. Key materials developed include:
- The national CAC Training and Service Delivery Guidelines (2010); updated according to current World Health Organization guidance (2014)
- The Government of India’s CAC training package (2014) adapted from IDF’s training manuals
- Operational Guidelines for program managers and service providers for providing woman-centered CAC services at public health facilities
- Information and education material on safe abortion
- A national mass media campaign on access to safe abortion
In May 2014 we collaborated with the MoHFW to bring together relevant officials from across the country for a national consultation on prioritizing CAC within the National Health Mission. An action plan that was developed from the deliberations at this meeting was disseminated and is currently being implemented by the MoHFW and state governments with assistance from IDF
In 2014, MoHFW invited Ipas India to lead the consultative process of drafting and disseminating a critical guidance detailing strategies for ensuring access to safe abortion services and addressing gender biased sex selection in the country. The handbook was released in February, 2015 and is available on the MoHFW website.
At the state level, we assist governments in strengthening and implementing their CAC agenda. This includes assisting them in drafting the comprehensive PIP, planning and facilitating CAC trainings; and improving service delivery.
Since the launch of our CCC project in 2014, we have also been providing technical assistance to the Family Planning department of the MoHFW for the implementation of the program in two states – Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh.